Sunday, August 28, 2011

Family Heirloom



Last Friday I picked up a gorgeous bangle I had made from a number of rings which belonged to my husband's mother, grandmother and aunt. I had inherited these items and while they were beautiful they didn't fit me or my girls and were put in my jewellery box, never to be seen again.

We have a number of talented jewellers and craftspeople in our town and after chatting with William of William Verdon Manufacturing Jewellers, I decided to bite the bullet and have a bangle made.

Too often we leave these beautiful items locked away and they don't come out again until someone else inherits them.

It's like the email that often does the rounds where we leave all our gorgeous bits 'for best' or a 'special occasion'. Not anymore! I will wear my pearls to work and will wear this bangle every day. We need to enjoy what we have worked hard to acquire all the time and not just on special occasions.

Do you wear all your 'good bits' or are they locked away for a special occasion?

I have just finished reading Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson.  I HAD to finish it before I went to sleep!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kerry,

    The bangle is beautiful. I have all my unworn gold in a bag to take to our local jeweller Graeme to see what he can do with it. I am a bangle/ bracelet wearer and I just love this. I wear all my good jewellery all the time except for earrings. I don't own expensive earrings because I lose them. I have told Jeff never to buy me earrings. My history is not very good!

    I am with you. Don't save your good stuff for 'best'. I enjoy everything I have ever been given. If a special dish gets broken, so be it. It was broken while being enjoyed!

    Hugs Terrixx (posting here rather than replying to your email so that your blog will be easier to find.)

    ReplyDelete